Pros & Cons Of Concrete Retaining Walls
Are you thinking about installing a concrete retaining wall on your home or business? They are both a beautiful and useful addition to any property, offering correction for ground sloping, protection for landscaping and foundation, and allows for the expansion of your property area to do with as you see fit. The most common retaining wall materials are concrete, stone, and brick. The best option for this addition to your property is concrete, and this article from your professional sidewalk contractor, Sidewalk Contractor NYC, will tell you more about why (or why not) a concrete retaining wall could work for you.
Pros Of Concrete Retaining Walls
The advantages of concrete retaining walls far outnumber the disadvantages, so let's see what kind of pros this kind of installation could bring your property.
- Strength and durability: Concrete is one of the strongest building materials out there and can easily hold tons of weight, making it the perfect material for a retaining wall. A concrete retaining wall is built to last for decades, and if it's well-constructed and maintained properly, it can last even longer.
- Multiple construction methods: Ask your concrete contractor about the three types of construction methods that can be used to build a retaining wall - poured concrete, blocks, or precast panels. They can help you assess your property and help you decide which is the best for you.
- Ease of Installation: Concrete retaining walls are incredibly easy to install and don't take as long as other concrete installations might, especially if you're working with industry professionals. You'll be paying less for shorter labor times and get to enjoy your results sooner.
- Eco-friendly: Concrete is a non-toxic material, meaning it doesn't excrete harmful chemicals or allergens. Most of what concrete is made up of are natural substances like clay, limestone, and fly ash. A concrete retaining wall would be a positive addition to your property that won't hurt the environment.
- Easy Maintenance: Concrete retaining walls require little maintenance. An annual power washing service will keep it looking fresh, and it's always smart to get a concrete contractor to assess any chips or cracks. Other than that, all you have to do is enjoy your retaining wall.
- Customizability: Concrete is flexible in terms of design and ease of construction. Curves, colors, textures, designs, and more are easy to manipulate when building a concrete retaining wall. You can even request that the walls match your home or place of business to make things flow together beautifully.
Cons Of Concrete Retaining Walls
Now that we've gone over the pros of concrete retaining walls, we can look at the cons. It's always smart to know both the advantages and disadvantages of an installation so you can weigh which ones are worth (or not worth) the trouble.
- Structural limitations: While concrete is customizable, it still does have a limit. There are limitations for height depending on what kind of construction method you use, and they are tough to tear down or remove after they're already installed. Remember, concrete is built to last for a long time, so always be sure it's what you want; otherwise, you'll be stuck with an installation you'll need heavy equipment to take down.
- No DIY: Concrete retaining walls are not something you can try to do yourself. Installing a concrete retaining wall requires experience and skill, not to mention knowledge of building codes and regulations. You'll need to have an experienced contractor help with installation to avoid any issues or faults.
Find A Trusted Pro
Concrete services are complicated and often permanent, which is why it pays to have an experienced pro help you out with any concrete installations you're set on. Sidewalk Contractors NYC & Concrete Services is proud to be the area's top-rated sidewalk and concrete contractor serving homes and businesses alike. Along with concrete installations, we also provide driveway repairs, walkway repairs, and more. Call us today to learn more about how we can help with your next concrete project.
Latest Articles & Tips
Why You Might Need Sidewalk Repairs
It's typical to need sidewalk repairs on your property in NYC because, let's face it - nothing lasts forever, even durable materials like concrete. It might frustrate you to know that even though the […]
Pros & Cons Of Concrete Retaining Walls
Are you thinking about installing a concrete retaining wall on your home or business? They are both a beautiful and useful addition to any property, offering correction for ground sloping, protection […]
Our Latest Projects
There are currently no projects to display; come back soon!